Our 4 hour drive from Florence to Venice was not as bad as I had anticipated. We went over the Apennines mountain range (and through them at times). There was a lot of traffic - especially when we approached the dark long tunnels through the mountains.
Our first order of business when arriving in Venice was a walking tour through Piazza San Marco (St Mark's Square) and the Basilica in the square. Honestly - I have seen the inside of too many churches! Although I know they are each unique and of much historical value. St Mark's square is the large square in Venice where all the pictures are taken of people with pigeons on them (pigeons sleep in their own feeces so we weren't even thinking of letting them land on us).

After our walking tour concluded, we went for a gondola ride! It was awesome. I got a little nervous when we all started moving seats (the only seats that are together are at the back of the gondola, and the views vary so much from each seat). The driver helped by telling us who should move where at what time so the boat could stay balanced ... but I was still feeling like we could fall into the canal at any second.



Right next to the gondola access point was the famous Harry's Bar .. where Hemingway once sat and where the Belini was invented. Of course we had to go .. and here are our drinks. Can you believe that these were 15 euro a piece!? This equals ~45$ for both of us! They say that it costs money to breath in Venice and I believe it!
We finished the night with dinner and a pub crawl through Venice. There are a lot of really good pubs - and it was nice to try some Italian beer (not that I could ever be sick of wine, but this was a nice change). Here we are with Nick and Nichole at bar number 1.
We are off in one hour for a boat cruise to Murano (famous for glass blowing) and Burrano (famous for lace) Islands. 50% chance of rain - so if I bring my rain jacket it will be sunny, but if I take my sunglasses it will rain.
Ciao Ciao for now!
1 comment:
What a life . . . eat, drink, tour, sleep, eat, drink, eat, drink, walk, etc. It sounds like you have become quite the Italians (poor Italians with the amount you are spending for bare existence). Enjoy the remainder of your touring. Hope Indiana sosunds good to you about now.
Post a Comment