Friday, November 7, 2008

Bitter Sweet

Tomorrow is our last full day in Italy! Bitter sweet ... I am ready for home because I need sleep and normalcy back in my life (and miss the fam and the puppy!), but we have had such a great experience that we will be sad to say goodbye to Italia. Something about not spending any more money also seems nice right now!

This morning we left via water taxi from Venice to Murano and Burano. The water taxi was fun. The speed limits in the water are very strict and are followed - so we didn't experience any "Italian Job" boats scenes. It was a bit scary at times! The driver was so aggresively trying to get a parking spot that I thought we were going to run into other boats at least 6 times.

At Murano we got to watch some glass blowing. It takes these people over 10 years to fully understand what they are doing. It was really neat to see.


From Murano we quickly boated over to Burano - an old fishing town known for it's lace. The wives of the fisherman painted their houses with bright colors so that their husbands could see them from the Adriatic Sea when coming home from fishing excursions.

After getting back to the main land of Venice, Corey and I walked around for a bit more. We found some gondolas being built.

I think we had one of our best meals tonight - spaghetti with tomatoes and lobster. It was served family style in a restaurant that was very small. We actually sat with another couple (not just next to -- we shared olive oil and balsamic vinegar and sat at the same table!). Then we had to get some gelato to cap off a great time in Venice.

An early start tomorrow sends us to Verona and then to Milano. I have not had a chance to do much shopping ... isn't that sinful? I plan to make some time tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your last full day in Italy did not lack for things to do! Now you just have to insert some serious shopping into the precious time that remains. Good luck. Remember . . . you inherited the White genes (jeans) and can take on almost any shoppers. Bring them on!